Insuring Your Holiday Lodge

Posted by admin on 23 March 2022 12:00:00

*Written by Park Home Assist.

Owning your own holiday lodge and having a tranquil retreat away from normal everyday life sounds like a tempting idea for a lot of people. Not only are lodges more affordable and stylish than ever, but the costs are also often significantly lower than buying a bricks and mortar home in the same location. In addition, many parks now allow you to rent out your holiday lodge, meaning you can benefit from additional rental income if you choose to let out your lodge to holidaymakers when you’re not utilising it yourself.

When you are thinking of buying a holiday lodge, it is quite probable that amid all the planning and excitement, insurance may be low down on your list of priorities. However, it is absolutely vital that you spend some time researching the right insurance and finding a policy that suits your needs.

Brampton 600x400

Insuring a holiday lodge is very different to insuring a standard bricks and mortar home that you may be used to. Many ‘high-street’ insurance companies won’t be able to offer you the type of policy you need. In addition to the lodge being more likely to be left unoccupied for periods of time, the unique construction of your lodge, along with it being on a holiday park, not owning the land the home is sited on and potentially let out to holidaymakers means that you will need to purchase a specialist insurance policy to ensure your investment is protected.

When thinking about covering your lodge, you will need to take into account the things that are most important to you. Whilst it is important to make sure your lodge is covered in the event of something catastrophic such as a fire or flood, it is also important to make sure your ‘day to day’ items are covered as well. This could be things like garden furniture, the contents of your shed, hot tubs as well as things like freezer contents if there’s a power cut, pedal cycles and sports equipment.

You may also want to consider optional extras such as legal protection in the event of a dispute and home emergency cover to provide repairs should your lodge suffer a failure such as the heating system or vermin damage.

Additionally, if you are thinking of renting out your lodge to holidaymakers, you will need to make sure your insurance policy covers you for letting. You may also wish to get extra peace of mind by covering things like accidental and malicious damage by tenants so you can rent your lodge out stress-free. You should ensure that you have Property Owners Liability Cover, should you become legally liable for injury or damage to property caused by an accident happening at the property.

Quantum (9)-1

It is also important that you check what will not be covered on your insurance policy or if there are any specific duties you need to carry out such as leaving the heating on during the cold winter months or prolonged unoccupancy.

Polices designed for holiday lodges can differ in both cover levels and price. Here at My Holiday Home Insurance, we have been insuring holiday lodges for over 15 years, and have worked with our customers to develop policies that meet their needs as well as offer great value for money and an award-winning claims service. Our specialist advisors will be able to discuss your requirements with you and put together a policy that suits both your needs and your budget.

Quantum (10)

Policy Examples:

2022 Tingdene Brampton sited on the stunning East Coast (Tingdene Park – Broadlands)

  • Up to £500,000 new for old cover on the buildings
  • Up to £40,000 new for old cover on contents
  • Up to £5million Property Liability Cover
  • New for old cover on buildings and contents, full accidental damage, cover for outbuildings, garden furniture, alternative accommodation, freezer contents and much more for just *£280.08 per annum.

2022 Tingdene Brampton sited on the tranquil Suffolk coast (Waterside Park – Suffolk)

  • Up to £500,000 new for old cover on the buildings
  • Up to £40,000 new for old cover on contents
  • Up to £5million Property Liability Cover
  • Includes cover for letting to holiday makers, accidental damage by tenants, cover for outbuildings, garden furniture, alternative accommodation, freezer contents and much more for just *£369.66 per annum.

*Premiums are for illustrative purposes only and are subject to Terms & Conditions. Premiums correct as at 14th February 2022.

Back to blog

Subscribe Here!

Difference #86

Building Lifestyles people love

We know you’re unlike any other customer. That’s the difference with Tingdene, we know you’re not just choosing a new home or investment. You’ve chosen a new way of life.

To learn more about our range of park homes and holiday lodges, enter your email below and we'll keep you updated with relevant;

  • news
  • offers
  • brochures
  • information about shows and exhibitions

Subscribe Here!